I just got in from a Wednesday Night Bible Study
And it was so awesome! Praise God!
This was the first Real Talk Bible Study meeting for the year and one of the things we talked about were having expectations-
I shared with those at the meeting that I used to be one of those people who didn’t have any expectations because I couldn’t stand being disappointed. I thought it was better to play it safe and not have any expectations so that when great things happened I’d be pleasantly surprised and when not-so-great things happened I wouldn’t be as affected. However, I have learned that God Wants me to have expectations. He wants me to expect great things. He wants me to see miracles, signs, and wonders in the earth – the problem is that I had no expectations.
The reason God doesn’t do more in our lives is because we don’t Expect Him to do more.
Normally the thing about expectations is that you run the risk of being disappointed if those expectations are not met but even then, if you don’t have expectations you guarantee that you will receive nothing as a result. When you expect nothing, you get nothing. However, when God is on the case you can Never be disappointed. Why? Because what you Need is better than what you want – and God is going to give you what you Need.
One example I shared with the group tonight is that as of lately I wanted to be an independent woman who needed nothing from a man. I was content with being complete in Christ and thinking about a man and marriage was just too much and I didn’t want to deal with it. I told God that I wanted to be one of those women who just was sold out to the kingdom and didn’t need to “settle down”. Thank God that He knows us better than we know ourselves. He explained to me that there were some women who were called and set apart for that service but I am not one of them. At first I was disappointed because the unmarried life seemed easier at least at the time. God further explained that the only reason I Felt that way was because I didn’t expect that He could work things out for me in the area of love, relationships and marriage. Lord help my unbelief! A godly marriage which is a reflection of the love of God in the earth is what I need in order to fulfill God’s purpose in life for me although I had talked myself out of wanting it – for fear of disappointment. God is so patient! Despite my “My mind’s made up” attitude, he gently and lovingly told me the truth 🙂
So I’m expecting great things from God this year. Here are a few things that I am expecting by my birthday (October 23rd) this year:
1. First an foremost I’m going to be blessed to be a blessing always in a position to help both financially and through prayer and in whatever way I can. I’m going to keep a count. I Expect to bless at least 15 people financially by my birthday. Pray with 10 people after midnight and give 7 strangers a car ride. I’ll also be able to purchase groceries for 2 strangers.
2. God will reveal to my husband that I am his wife. By my birthday I Expect that my husband will know that he is my husband and he will be in the midst of courting me as a virtuous woman. As a result my birthday will be something out of the ordinary.
3. I will have three books completed by my birthday. I expect that God will inspire me and continue to motivate me to write as consistently as I have been and the results of that labor will be three books completed and ready to give out for publishing.
4. $8000 will pass through my hand and belong to me by my birthday. I expect to sow a $2000 seed during Super Sunday at my church in October.
5. I will go out of the country this year. I expect to go alone. It will either be as an intern who works with Voice of the Martyrs and the persecuted church or as an English scholar in Paris.
By writing down what I want I am setting myself up to expect God to give me what I need and Ephesians 3:20 tells me that God is able to do Exceeding Abundantly Above ALL I can ask or Think –
Even if things don’t work out according to the way I wrote them down here they are going to work out in an Even better way – a way that only God could come up with. Any change in those expectations will only prove that God’s ways are higher than my ways and His thoughts are higher than my thoughts. Even the “disappointments” will supersede the expectations I have set.
Is there anything too hard for God? These expectations are but a light thing for Him to do. I can’t wait to keep track of them and see how God does more in my life simply because I Expect Him to do more. Of course my life has to line up so when you see me around tell me how I’m living.
Wishing all the Love of God & the Light that is Christ.
To the Three-In-One be Glory, Dominion, Honor & Power Now and for all Eternity.